CTE Commute

Seniors+Salma+Balderas+and+Rylan+Sanders+wait+for+the+CTE+Center+bus+to+arrive.+

Seniors Salma Balderas and Rylan Sanders wait for the CTE Center bus to arrive.

The variety of courses available at the Career and Technical Education Center may be enticing to some students.

However, taking a CTE Center course can be much more challenging for those who must make the commute.

“The buses are unusually crowded. Some students have to sit on the floor or sit three to a seat which is really cramped,” junior Kim Dugenio said.

Time management is something students might want to consider when getting to and from the CTE Center.

“I think some students they have a particularly hard time getting from class to class because they’ll get caught up in the hallways or they’ll see a friend and get distracted,” junior Josh Silvosa said.

Those who have a CTE Center class third period are given less time to finish their lunch.

“I spend most of my time in the line in the cafeteria and when I finally get to my table I only have like five minutes to eat,” Dugenio said.

Not all students who take a CTE Center course face these obstacles as some courses do not take place the same period as lunch.

“I think that you should go look over your schedule and look at when you have your CTE Center class because it varies if you have it in the morning or in the afternoon,” Silvosa said.

Even though the bus schedules may be difficult to work around, students are learning to adjust on campus.

“I would have trouble managing eating lunch and getting to my car quickly. But after a few days I was able to get a hang of it,” Silvosa said.

“I have been thinking that it would be advantageous of me to take my own vehicle to get there instead of taking the bus,” Dugenio said.

Accommodations have been made to better benefit students who travel off campus.

“We noticed pretty quickly that students had about only ten minutes for lunch time,” Associate Principal Dr. Kathryn Gray said, “…so what we did was we are allowing students out of class ten minutes early.”

Administration advises students to consider transportation issues when choosing what classes you want on your schedule.

“If there is a class that they can’t get it here, then we want them to have the option of traveling off campus. The problem becomes with all of that choice and all of the extra things that are available to students it requires travel time which impacts their particular schedule,” Dr. Gray said.