Are you ready to tackle AP?

Two+textbooks%2C+similar+in+size%2C+but+vastly+different+in+content+and+difficulty.+%E2%80%9CWays+of+the+World%E2%80%9D+is+the+AP+textbook+while+%E2%80%9CWorld+History%E2%80%9D+is+the+on+level+textbook.+

Two textbooks, similar in size, but vastly different in content and difficulty. “Ways of the World” is the AP textbook while “World History” is the on level textbook.

This spring, Advanced Placement students will be taking exams in order to gain college credit.

While this is taking place, on level students will be learning the Texas Essentials of Knowledge and Skills or TEKS, that are taught in both AP and on level classes.

On-level students do not have to prepare for AP exams.

“The major difference is we have not only the TEKS that we have to teach the student in on-level and in AP, we have our key concepts that we have to cover and they can be a lot more extensive,” AP World History Teacher Mark Massey said.

What is expected out of each student differs in AP and on-level classes.

Teachers have higher expectations for students in AP classes.

“They expect you to put more effort into your work. That’s the major difference I see in my English class. We still do work and we still learn things but it’s not as intense as AP classes. We actually have to put 100 percent of our attention on it in order to do it right, in order to understand the concept,” junior Samantha Casebolt said.

AP classes can be a great way to prepare for college because of these expectations; but on-level classes can be less stressful.

“AP is a good way to take college level courses in high school and potentially earn college credits. If you look at how expensive college and universities are you can get some of those credits in high school to reduce the cost of your four-year education in college,” World History Teacher Ryan Rosse said

“I feel like there’s less stress when you take on-level classes,” sophomore Alex Johannes said.

While AP classes can help with college, on-level classes can leave you with less homework and more free time.

“Well you have less of a workload but you’re still getting all the necessary content that you need that’s required by the state, but you have a lesser workload. So if you’re involved in extracurricular activities you have more time to be involved in those things and not get bogged down and weighed down by more school work,” Mr. Rosse said.

“Pre-AP has more homework and you have to put in more time at home other than an on-level class,” Johannes said.

When signing up for classes consider the amount of work you are able to manage. 

“It might seem like a great idea at first but I would jump in with one, see how that goes, and then your next year maybe take a couple more. Take the classes that you want to take,” Mr. Massey said.