Bubba’s breakthrough

Getting into college is what many students have worked for since freshman year. For senior Bubba Ogbebor, his future wasn’t always so clear.

“I knew I was going to do something big, just not in this form, not in this way,” Bubba said.

It wouldn’t be until his junior year in high school, that he would realize his talent in football. As one of our star players, Bubba received a four-year scholarship to Boise State University.

However his life wasn’t always easy. When Bubba was 10 years old, his father moved to Nigeria and Bubba and his family could not afford to see him once he relocated. For him, this scholarship gave him security.

“He [his father] made it clear to me that we didn’t really have money to pay for college and the fact that I got a scholarship, made him happy for my mom,” Bubba said. “Since he’s not here right now. It just gave him relief.”

The scholarship didn’t come easily. Bubba put in countless hours on and off the field to get where he is now.

“The things people see when I play; they don’t know what I do behind the scenes,” he said. “Workouts, running, and catching footballs after practice. It’s hard work.”

Bubba’s mother, Fatima Oyofo, is not surprised by her son’s accomplishments.

“No one in the family has ever doubted him,” she said. “Because growing up, he’s always been very strong willed and when he puts his mind to something, he gets it done.”

Coach Che Hendrix said he has learned from his perseverance.

“Bubba has taught me a lot,” Coach Hendrix said. “He’s worked so hard and he’s done it with a smile and an awesome attitude. He’s shown me that it’s okay to smile. I consider him a coach’s dream.”

But through all the praise and accomplishments, Bubba tries not to let the success go to his head.

“I don’t want to end up like the people who’ve been exalted and humbled later on in their career,” Bubba said. “I haven’t done anything yet. I’ve had a good high school career but that’s just the beginning.”

Coach Hendrix believes Bubba doesn’t see his full potential.

“I don’t think he realizes just how good he can be,” Coach Hendrix said. “When his football career is over, I think he could have an amazing professional career in whatever he chooses. I don’t think he sees himself in the light yet, but he has a bright future ahead of him.”