Bringing life back to banned books

Siddhartha+and+Brave+New+World+are+some+of+the+books+that+are+appearing+on+the+ban+list.+

“Siddhartha” and “Brave New World” are some of the books that are appearing on the ban list.

Famous books like “The Hunger Games” series are being banned across the country for their extreme content.

This has become a huge problem locally at Highland Park High School. Since it has hit so close to home questions have been asked whether the same will happen here at Heritage.

Classic books like “Siddhartha” by Hermann Hesse or “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley are now being considered “inappropriate” for students at the high school level.

“These are intellectual they may be a little bit controversial, they may be a little different from what we consider normal but they are still books that make you think, that is compelling and if these books were banned that would be a huge loss to the student body,” said senior Seokin Yeh.

If this is true then why can’t students decide what stays in the library and what goes?

“I think students should have a voice and they should be able to say what they want to read but typically I think it’s more appropriate for teachers to decide what stays in and what goes,” said  Kimberly Vincent, our school librarian.

Why should teachers be the only ones to decide what we read?

Yeh believes that students should also have a voice because it is what affects our education.

When it comes to trying to get books on or off the banned list, the process is not easy.

There are multiple steps that are taken to ensure satisfaction and approval.

“ There is a process actually and these things are written down. There [are] guidelines. They would go to the principal and the principal would give them a copy of the request form to have the book removed,” said Vincent.

If you have any questions about a book that’s banned you can contact Ms. Vincent.