Beneath the Stage Lights

Theater’s first fall production ‘Epic Proportions’ opens Thursday

The lights begin to dim, voices begin to hush and the room begins to quiet. The stage erupts with life, and the long-awaited production has begun.

Epic Proportions is a show centered around the magic and misfortunes of moviemaking. Specifically, the production of a blockbuster film filled with dozens of extras, ancient Egyptian guards and romance.

“It’s about a love triangle in the middle of the desert,” ensemble member and sophomore Sumanasri Godavarti said.

Lead Theatre Director Melody Copeland has worked on 16 plays since working at Heritage and this year she’s most excited about the increase in student involvement with this production in particular.

“Epic Proportions is a show about people making a movie,” Copeland said. “Those huge, epic movies, that are bigger than big and it deals with Egyptian times, Roman times and everything is supposed to be bigger than life, which is a little complicated and kinda crazy, but a lot of fun.” 

The production is centered around three main characters; Phil, Benny and Louise. Brothers Phil and Benny are originally only extras in the film until events take place and they become people of great influence to the film. Unfortunately, they also become men of great interest to Louise Goldman, the assistant director.

“My character [Louise] is a very happy-go-lucky person,” lead actress and sophomore Tanya Kalidindi said. “She’s an assistant director for the movie that they’re putting on within the show. She’s very bright, she’s very happy and very unaware of all the drama she’s causing.”

“I think the show is pretty hysterical in general,” Copeland said. “I expect there to be a lot of enthusiasm. We have a lot of new kids, and they’re very excited and the show is already starting to come together, so I’m really pumped about that.”

Many of the cast auditioned before the end of the last school year and a large portion has been rehearsing since July. Technical theatre students have also been working over the summer for this production. They are involved in the making of any play or show. Senior Hinckley Petralia is the Shop Foreman for the Technical Theatre students. His responsibility is to ensure the safety of his technicians and keep them on task.

“Everyone seems to be doing a good job,” Petralia said. “We have a good crew, we have a good cast. For a lot of them, this is their first show, which I think is a good thing because it’s a good show to get into, but they’re all picking up the ball really well, they’re all doing their job really well and they all want to be here, so that means everyone is doing everything efficiently.”

Technical theatre student and sophomore Caleb Staggs works with Petralia to build the sets and create a safe environment for the actors.

“I built the columns, the headers for the columns and part of the stairs,”  Technical theatre student and sophomore Caleb Staggs said. “I painted the columns and it looks good, so I’m happy with that.” 

The cast and crew have been putting in extra hours to put on this production for all ages and are looking forward to the opening of their first production of this school year.

“I’m most excited about opening night because it’s always so exciting when everyone gets to see the play,” a member of the ensemble, sophomore Cera Shipp said.

“It’s fairly family-friendly, but I think it will really appeal the most to middle school, high school and adult audiences,” Copeland said. The cost for adults is eight dollars and the cost for children and senior citizens is five dollars per person. The shows start at 7:00 p.m. and will be done no later than 9:00 p.m., maybe a little earlier. The premiere of Epic Proportions will take place on Thursday, Sept. 12, Friday, Sept. 13 and Saturday, Sept. 14.