Mrs. Butler Welcomes Battle Of The Books

Meghan Crawford

Mrs. Buttler helping a student.

Kaitlin Valene, Reporter

Mrs. Butler, the new librarian brings a new club to Heritage High School called, “The Battle of the Books” that allows students to have the opportunity to get together in a more organic and fun way.

As Heritage welcomes the new librarian Mrs. Butler from her previous school Pink Elementary, she welcomes a new club to our school. She explains it as an an academic decathlon.

“Technically, I guess it was my idea to start the club, but my students are the ones who are passionate about it,” Butler explained.

Even though it was difficult to form this club, she still set her mind to it and formed it.

“It was a little difficult, but I tried not to let that get me down,” Butler said.

Junior, Emely Moctezuma is a member of this club, along with a library aid for Mrs. Butler.

“I see the Battle of the Books being super successful because Mrs. Butler and other members of the club are super passionate about this club,” Moctezuma said.  

This club will compete against different schools in the surrounding area, such as, Liberty High School, Prosper High School, Little Elm High School and Plano Senior High.

Reading 10 books a semester may seem difficult, but it will definitely be fun competing against other people.

“We read 10 books a semester and then probably the students will make up questions and they’ll quiz each other,” Butler said.

The books that Mrs. Butler decided they would possibly be reading are

• The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
  • Caraval by Stephanie Garber
  • We Will Not be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistance Movement That Defied Adolf Hitler by Russell Freedman
  • And I Darken by Kiersten White
  • Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
  • The Leaving, Heartless by Marissa Meyer
  • There’s Something Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
  • League of American Traitors by Matthew Landis

They’re accepting suggestions for graphic novels to read.

“You can join this club if you are cool enough,” Moctezuma said.

They currently have 25-30 people in this club. Students interested in joining this club can attend the meetings on Fridays once a month at 8:15 in the library.