Bridging the gender gap in AP classes

Jessika Hardy

AP Biology students work on a genetics lab.

For many students walking into a challenging AP class can be daunting.

But walking into a class where you feel unequal can be even more terrifying.

According to Danielle Paquette’s Washington Post article, Anthropologist Dan Grunspan discovered that many times boys would assume other boys were more intelligent even if their female classmates got better grades.

This belief can lead to girls feeling inadequate and afraid to challenge themselves in AP classes.

“The way students think about themselves has a big impact on course choices and performance in courses,” AP Physics teacher Meredith Bell said.

Some students also experience more insecurities because of their race in addition to their gender.

“Girls who are also minorities, they already have to cope with not being viewed as equal, and when you’re a minority you are then viewed as different…it’s a different kind of different,” junior Ty Ceballos said.

“What religion you are, what race you are, can change your experience in school,” junior Camryn Byers said.

Many teachers said students shouldn’t let their gender or ethnicity hinder their choices of classes they take.

“The falling into a self-belief about a stereotype is possible for really anyone, whether it is gender, or ethnicity, or socioeconomic group there are a lot of stereotypes out there and we just have to remember that we’re all individuals, and we’re all unique, and we’re all capable of being successful,” Bell said.

These stereotypes can lead to negative consequences.

Grunspan felt that when a girl’s potential is overlooked it builds up and affects their self-esteem.

Some students said they don’t pay attention to stereotypes, and feel comfortable in their AP classes.

Heritage High School staff and administration said they battle these stereotypes by encouraging students to challenge themselves and apply for courses they truly want to take.