Thomas named Jan/Feb teacher of the month

Ms.+Ashley+Thomas+strives+to+make+sure+that+no+students+feels+behind+in+their+performance.+

Leslie Mota

Ms. Ashley Thomas strives to make sure that no students feels behind in their performance.

Leslie Mota, Reporter

Although she has only been here for a short time, Ms. Ashley Thomas has already been recognized as an outstanding teacher.

Ms. Thomas did not expect to be January and February’s Teacher of the Month.

“It is an extremely amazing honor. When I found out, I just couldn’t even believe it. It just meant so much to me,” she said.

Ms. Thomas has been teaching here for three years but has been teaching for seven years overall.

Before she became a teacher, Ms. Thomas was interested in being a meteorologist.

Halfway through college she changed her major so she could help students learn.

“I want [my students] to learn that they can learn anything as long as they put their mind to it, and as long as they…continue to work for it,” she said.

Ms. Thomas credits her hard work, determination and her willingness to make connections with others as her reason for being selected as Teacher of the Month.

Some of her students have noticed qualities in Ms. Thomas that make her a good candidate for this award.

“She’s always giving 110% to make sure she is doing everything she can for every single student in the class, and that’s a big deal to me,” said senior Alec McGregor.

Not only do students recognize her dedication, but some, like senior Cameron O’rear, appreciate her sense of humor.

“One time we played a prank on her and she was like totally cool with it and she laughed about it and all that. Some teachers aren’t like that,” said O’rear.

In Ms. Thomas’ class, she strives to make sure no student feels that they are behind in their performance.

“She doesn’t let anyone fall behind. Even if a student doesn’t show any interest in the class, she’s always trying to make sure that everyone is engaged,” McGregor said.

In the future, Ms. Thomas hopes to possibly start a new club and continue impacting student’s lives.

“Hopefully I’ll get to see students thrive in math, and get past that whole idea of ‘Math is too hard,’” Thomas said.