Girls track team focused on season ahead

During track practice on February 11, sophomore Aakilah Clark prepares for her hurdle starts. The girls track team begins their season with a tri-meet this Thursday.

Courtney Bostic

Millenia Watkins, Reporter

Girls Track team begins this Thursday at a tri-meet at Wakeland.
“I’m excited about everyone,” Head Girls Track Coach Chryste Gaines said. “This is my first
year here and I think that everyone will perform well.”
Coach Gaines believes that the young women on the team have potential to push them forward
in the upcoming season.
“Track is a big part of my life,” freshman Jaidah Gibson said. “It teaches me discipline and
perseverance. I’m always working on being a being a better athlete.”
They have been putting in practice all throughout the fall season, and are now working on
event-specific training.
“We’ve been doing handoffs, lots of plyometrics, and just getting our body ready,” junior Hayley
Polk said.
Coach Gaines has an Olympic track background, and uses that experience to help in training
her athletes.
“I know the steps to take because I’ve done it before,” Coach Gaines said. “I’ve won state
championship and I think I can help them better because of that.”
Gibson feels as if Coach Gaines has drastically improved her performance in track.
“She’s always giving me constructive criticism on how to improve,” Gibson said. “Sometimes
she’s a little tough, but she’s by far one of the best coaches I’ve ever had, and I’m excited to be
taught by her.”
Although the team has lost top performers, they still remain positive on and off the field.
“We all have the heart of a champion and won’t stop until the job is done,” Polk said. “We know
how to execute.”
Going to state is the main objective this season, encouraging the girls to work harder.
“If you just push hard, you’ll get better,” Polk said. “I think that’s a motto for life.”
This tri-meet will kick off the rest of the season, leading up to the district meet in April.