Sports Medicine: From training to treatment

Students+like+Kendell+Groom+have+to+take+Sports+Medicine+before+they+can+take+Athletic+Training.+

Sarah Brooks

Students like Kendell Groom have to take Sports Medicine before they can take Athletic Training.

Sarah Franco, Reporter

Football players and cheerleaders are not the only people on the field when it comes to game time.

Athletic trainers are also there as a part of the team to protect and keep the athletes pushing forward.

Senior Courtney Wolfe was on the softball team when she partially tore her ligament in her elbow bone.

She then went to Coach Robert Fudge, one of the athletic trainers, for her treatment.

“I want to major in athletic training, but just like talking to Coach Ward and Coach Fudge and through my rehab it got me more interested in athletic training because of what I saw them do when they were just helping me with my treatment and stuff,” Wolfe said.

After her recovery she not only regained her strength but she also found a new career path.

Before Wolfe could enroll in Athletic Training she first had to take Sports Medicine which gave her a basic idea of what the field is all about.

“In this class we teach the basic prevention techniques in athletic injuries, we focus on specific taping such as for the ankle and we also do game and practice coverage for all the sports,” said the Sports Medicine instructor.

Sports Medicine is a course that gives you basic experience of what an athletic trainer really does and you don’t have to play a sport to take it.

“The best thing that we’ve learned is taping ankles and taping wrists that’s a big thing that we do in Athletic Training and so that’s pretty fun to learn,” sophomore Brandon Cooper.

Many students like Cooper, find this to be the perfect class for them to take because of their love for both sports and the medical field.

Sports Medicine allows students the opportunity to get hands on experience and a chance to use the professional equipment that the class provides.

If you have any questions about the course you can contact instructor, Beth Ward or talk to your counselor.