ISM hosts District Winter Showcase

Presenting his findings to Principal Mark Mimms, senior Brian Hou discusses his research on real estate investing. ISM students spent a semester researching a potential career, including working with a mentor already in the field.

Jimena Gomez

Diego Ochoa, Reporter

Independent Study and Mentorship had their winter research showcase on Dec. 16, where the members gave presentations on their careers they are studying.

”This is an independent study class so I try to let the students do the majority of their own work, and I just guide them in the right direction,” ISM Teacher Matt Pirtle said.

The members showed what career they picked, and what they have learned about it from their mentor, which they had to find on their own.

“I had a great time speaking with people, viewing display boards from other ISM students across the district, and speaking with my mentor,” ISM Student Mikaela Dapremont said.

The students had been working on creating the presentation, which explains their career choice, and it is a major project that the students did for the class.

”The showcase is a place where the students really get to show their families, friends, and strangers what they have been working hard on all semester,” Former ISM Student Ryan Ochoa said.

ISM is a class that can reveal to students more about their chosen career path, and the winter showcase is a way to present what they have learned.

”I didn’t know what career I wanted before ISM,” Ochoa said. “They guided me in the right direction and I realized that it was something that I was really passionate about.”

The next step for the students is their end-of-year presentation where they present their final research.

“I have been teaching ISM for about six years and I would say that if you’re willing to work hard, then it is a great way to explore your career of interest,” Mr. Pirtle said.