DECA Competition

Heritage students wait for placements from their respective DECA competition events.

Shruthi Pabba, Reporter

DECA is an organization that focuses on business oriented competition events. Students from all over this region, including Frisco ISD high schools competed in the Febraury regionals competition to qualify for a spot in the state competition later that month. 

On February 7, students competed in the DECA competition for regionals. Waking up early in the morning, students in DECA dress in their most professional outfit, complete with a blazer and black shoes. The bus ride to their competition is filled with anticipation. Students practice memorizing their speeches and lines and add finishing touches to their presentations, busy with the pressure of the rest of the day.

Students worked for the past six months on their respective events, trying their hardest to rise above their competitors from neighboring high schools. Only a few students from each event qualify for state, and can go on to compete in the state competition on February 22. Sneha Bond is one of these students. 

“Being in DECA this year has added so much to my life,” Sneha Bond said when asked about her experience in this organization. “The moment our names were called for the state qualifying position for our event, my heart stopped. It was one of the best moments of the year.”

Now a senior, Bond was able to make it to the state competiton her last year of high school, ending her high school DECA experience on a high note. 

While DECA state was the goal, the competition does not stop there. The next step is internationals, which take place in April. “We don’t stop working hard that we made state,” Bond says. “This is only the beginning. Next step is qualifying for internationals, and that is going to take a lot of hard work to make it that far.” But Sneha Bond, as well as the rest of the DECA members, is no stranger to hard work. After all, this is only the beginning.