Ms.Hope takes on APES

Rebecca Hope takes on the APES course since Bryan Beck resigned.

Emerson Weaver, Reporter

Rebecca Hope clicks through her powerpoint as she projects her voice to the active AP Environmental Science classroom about global wind patterns after Bryan Beck resigned earlier this school year.

Hope has been the replacement for Mr.Beck since he left the school for an environmental non-profit job in Dallas. She was a substitute for the semester when she was asked by Kiara Henderson to teach the course for the remainder of the year. 

“When they gave me my own email address and all of that it became more official…the ability to electronically take care of business is a big deal because we are on canvas and being able to get into the electronic curriculum was the biggest advantage,” Hope said.

Beck left Heritage early in the school year and students were shocked to see him leave.

“We were really surprised because it was so early in the year but we were happy for him because this was the opportunity and [a] once in a lifetime [thing]” Kim said. “ his style of teaching was fun and engaging, he made it fun and engaging.” 

Hope has a background of teaching at Denton ISD with courses of AP and Honors chemistry. She attended college at Lubbock Christian University obtaining a bachelor’s degree in biology or general science. Hope and the students are adapting to the change and preparing for the upcoming AP test in May.

“ I enjoy the subject very much, I realize how much of this subject that I use in my life when i’m not aware of it” Hope said. “ The students are wonderful and the subject always keeps me on my toes to learn new things.”

Senior Karen Kim and Junior Maddie Miller plan on taking the AP environmental science test in May even with the switch of teachers and different teaching style. 

“ I don’t think the test will be very difficult [to prepare for] because AP environmental science is a pretty common science” Miller said. 

Ms.Hope will continue to click away through environmental powerpoints about wind patterns and fossil fuels for the rest of the year and continue teaching at Heritage High School.