Saving money for the holidays

Adrian Alvarez

Holidays are the times to give and receive happiness

Adrian Alvarez, Reporter

It’s the christmas season, joy is the air, families counting down the days until their favorite holiday. But do you have the money for your christmas traditions?

Everybody has their holiday frustrations, usually involving money and if you can afford the expenses that the holiday brings. Well, by following a few simple steps, you will be able to make your desired purchases. Even the simplest actions can save money.

For example, according to Moneyadviceservice.org, deciding where to put your money can make a bigger difference than you may think,”For small amounts the best place might simply be a coin jar. Make sure you transfer it into a savings account as soon as it’s built up to a tidy sum.”

This is a good way to keep track of your savings, all while making sure you don’t accidentally spend it on something else. However for some maybe that’s not your problem, you could be great at keeping track of money yet not quite have enough money for your expenses.

If this is the case, according to Moneyadviceservice.org, you might just need to change up your Christmas traditions to fit your budget.

”Pressure to please loved ones and to give children the perfect Christmas tops the list of reasons people overspend during the festive season.” Some tips to solve this problem would be, start a family traditions and get the whole family on it saving money along the way.

I also asked people on their methods of saving money for the holiday season. Freshman Connor Eaton says he earns money through chores and saves it until it’s time to shop.

Another step that is helpful is setting a budget and planning what may be needed for the however many people you plan celebrating with. According to Moneyadviceservice.org “The average Christmas spend per household is around £500”, if hosting a dinner a good idea is to know how much to spend on for food and drinks.