The Evolution of Thanksgiving

Nadine Said, Reporter

Thanksgiving is here and the ways Heritage celebrates it vary from person to person.

In the past, the future always included flying cars and a robot apocalypse, now we’ve got fidget spinners and fried chicken bath bombs, so how do we celebrate Thanksgiving in 2017? According to Campus Times people have changed since the first Thanksgiving feast in the 1600’s, but the concept of being with family and expressing gratitude have remained. Can the same be said for Heritage?

Time has changed the way our teachers get festive in November; even though they have the traditional feast with their families they have added their own touches to their holidays.

Librarian Amanda Butler’s family “will come together to talk and eat a big thanksgiving dinner, fry turkey, watch football, and get ready for shopping the next day.”

However, there are those who will only have the traditional dinner, excluding the commercial traditions, but have decided to make it less formal, like English teacher Atticus Shaskan.

“It’s a little against the spirit of Thanksgiving, but if people like it then I don’t really see a problem with it,” he said.

People have embraced an open-minded outlook on the ways to celebrate Thanksgiving; the majority believes that the correct ways to celebrate Thanksgiving are endless.

“Spending time together- whether that is spending time at home eating, putting up the Christmas tree after Thanksgiving, or going out shopping – it should just help you make memories and make you happy,” Librarian Amanda Butler said.

Students are also celebrating Thanksgiving and are adding their touches to the festivities this November.

Senior Julie Foo will be celebrating with her neighbors and family friends due to the distance between her and the rest of her family.

“[I’m] having a feast with my family and family friends as well as going to a neighborhood turkey run competition,” Foo said.

Although there have been changes in the way people celebrate Thanksgiving, the idea behind it has yet to change.

Foo is glad she and her family “still get to show gratitude for what [they] have and have a large feast.”

It appears Campus Times was correct: “While the turkey and pumpkin pie are fairly universal Thanksgiving traditions, everyone has unique ways of celebrating the holiday that each produce their own memories and stories every year.”