Black Friday Brings out the Beast in Humanity

Survival stories of those who dared to shop on Black Friday.

People wait patiently outside the mall on Thanksgiving for Black Friday Deals.

Sona Shaik, Reporter

The line stretches around the block, people stand patiently in the cold weather. The clock strikes 12. The doors open. Weaves are on the floor. Yelling and screaming echoes through the mall. To the untrained eye, it’s World War III but to a seasoned shopper it’s Black Friday.

The faculty and students at Heritage have also participated, and they have also seen their share of the madness that is Black Friday.

Senior Tamera Duhart, said she saw “an old woman snatching all the watches from Macy’s” and then the woman jumped over her so she could be the first one in line at Stonebriar mall.

Daniel Sanandres, an art teacher said he has gone Black Friday shopping only once and [he] waited in line outside of Toys “R” Us for about four or five hours for a PlayStation 3.“I was bored. It was midnight, and I wasn’t tired,” Sanandres said . It was like I was on a gameshow trying to find bath toys for 1 year old, and not knowing how much I was going to spend.

Black Friday originated in America and it has become a global phenomenon. According to the Balance, in 2016, 101.7 million Americans who went shopping the Friday after Thanksgiving. Each shopper spent approximately $935.58 and total spending was estimated to be $655.8 billion.

But most shoppers aren’t done shopping just yet. There are even more deals on Super Saturday and Cyber Monday. Needless to say, people are willing to go to great lengths to buy a TV or an XBOX.

Here are some of the Black Friday horror stories told by the brave retail employees that survived.

Chaos in Kohl’s

According to ABC News, in 2014 there were four women who got into a fight in Kohl’s store in California around 1 a.m. Two of the women were arrested and one person was actually taken to the hospital.

Towel Trouble

The Business Insider reported on a couple that had waited in line for about 14 hours and once the store opened they ended up buying a shopping cart full of towels that were on sale for $2.

Fleece Fabric Frenzy

An even crazier account was a fight between an 80-year-old grandmother and another woman over fleece fabric at Jo-Ann.As each year goes by, Black Friday is starting earlier and earlier. Many stores have opened their doors as early as 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving day. In fact, online deals actually begin at 12:01 a.m. on Thanksgiving. These long hours and early shifts can take a toll on the employees who work during Black Friday.

Business Insider wrote an article about how employees feel when they have to work during such hectic times. They asked a former best buy employee to talk about her experiences. Her name was not disclosed in the article.

“I’m hoping that it goes back to Black Friday actually being on Friday not on Thanksgiving,” she said. “Once the doors opened, the first few hours were craziness – a blur of customers and products.”