AP Human students face “The Drop”

Sonia Shah, Reporter

September 29 was the last day freshmen turned in schedule change forms to avoid hardships and rigorous stress AP Human Geography produced.

The first six weeks of school ended and some freshmen dropped AP Human Geography, a college credit class that they’re eligible to take.

Some students chose to drop out and switched to World Geography, the on-level class.

Schedule change forms were submitted by many, but why? According to Head Counselor Valerie Harrison, most students “drop for life balance.”

“Students are allowed to take AP classes, so we encourage students to try it out,”Harrison said. “The drop is an opportunity for them to say “‘Hey, I tried it out and it’s not a good fit for me. I can drop and go into an on-level class.’”

Freshman Sanai Lowe is one of the students who took the on-class when school started instead of dropping AP Human.

“I did not want to take any AP classes because moving from the middle school to high school level is different freshman year,” Lowe said. “Going to a new school level you do not know how the school system works and how the teachers teach; I could have changed classes during the first six weeks but I did not want to bother with the stress at all.”

When asked about why students drop out, Harrison said the drop gives students an opportunity to work things out.

“ I think lots of students drop because of anxiety and stress from wanting to do well and earn the highest GPA,”Harrison said. “The drop gives students an opportunity to work it out.”

Lowe took World Geography instead of AP Human Geography and gave her own opinion on students who drop the class.

“I think because they’re too caught up in their college lives too early, they put too much pressure on themselves to make excellent transcripts,” Lowe said. “They push themselves too hard, then later go down to the level they can handle.”

Lowe gave advice to students who switched classes.

“They shouldn’t let it get them down, they shouldn’t feel like they aren’t good enough to be in that class”, Lowe said. “I hope they’ll feel better taking this on-level class & maybe one day will find courage to take a class like this with more knowledge.”