Brighter Than The Friday Night Lights

Fiza Kuzhiyil

Nya Snowden getting ready for a football game.

Nya Snowden, Contributor

Deafened by the surrounding chatter and commotion, I wait.

Blinded by the Friday Night Lights, I wait.

Paralyzed by anxiety and excitement I wait.

Whistles blow, shrill but distant, I wait. I step. Wait. Step. Wait. Then it’s our turn to march onto the field. Keep the line straight, look at the other marchers, don’t screw up.

As the drill team is announced, I stand, ready to play my best. Ready to start our performance. Ready to shine bright.

Both songs are done in a heartbeat, and the drill team marches off with a flutter of pink, a flash of gold. Sprinting to my spot. I know where to go; how could I not? A month of practice had prepared my for this moment.

My first time marching.

But this game was special for a few reasons. I was a freshman; I was performing with my sister.

And this performance was on live television. Texans sure love their Friday Night Lights.

Left, right, left, right. Heel-roll-push, heel-roll-push. I know what to do. I can do this.

The whole band collapsed, as if in a magical slumber, but that only began the magic. A princess arose, then her prince. They waltzed magnificently. Then her court awoke. They waltzed. Then the band rose as one, and waltzed on the field. People cheered their praise, exclaimed their amazement. Nothing as unique as this had been seen before.

The pre-show ended. I dashed to my spot, halfway across the field. Sweat was already pouring down my back, my wool uniform thwarting any chance for ventilation. It was time to march, time to shine. Time to transform into one band, one sound.

“Here it comes,” I thought. Locking my knees, stretching my short legs, planting my foot, and..I made it. My most difficult spot, and I made it perfectly. But there was no time to celebrate; I had to march on, and play like a graceful gazelle.

Fill up with air. Keep the time. Don’t forget the direction, don’t step to big, don’t crack a note. On and on, these thoughts kept me focused on the field, not on the mesmerized crowd. Before I knew it, we played the final note. I stood center field, one piece in the puzzle that made the band. Our instruments dazzled in the Friday Night Lights, but at the moment, I shone brighter than the rest.

Brighter than the Friday Night Lights.