Cut The Check

Frisco ISD thinking of using State of Texas Maintenance and Operation money to build to new high schools in the upcoming years.

Kim Jaime

Possible Site for one of the new schools.

Shannon-Renee Odoi, Reporter

Texas uses two types of bonds for schools, maintenance and operation bonds. These funds are used to run the schools already built, programing for students, district salaries and other miscellaneous expenses.

The school board goes through a process of voting and deciding how these bonds should be spent, but the school board is thinking of using this money to create two new high schools.

“The district is having a election in November,” Principal Mark Mimms said. “The parents of the district of Frisco, will get to vote on whether they want to pass the bond, which will allow us to build the two new high schools.”

The supposed “new” schools have no names yet, however they already have been numbered and have possible locations, just like the other Frisco ISD schools.

“Right now they’re number 11 and number 12,” Mr. Mimms said. And before Heritage had its name, it was known as high school number five. Number 11 is supposed to be on the east side of town, and number 12 is supposed to be either north, west, or northeast of Lonestar.”

According to Mr. Mimms, a school takes time and money to fund and get the school started.

“It usually takes two years to build a high school, so you need to get the money up front,” Mr. Mimms said. “When you pass a bond you’re using that money to get artitecture, come up with plans, [in] some cases you could be buying land and things like that.”

Production for the schools will possibly be in 2022 or in 2024, but this depends on how fast the district grows. Frisco ISD wants the money ready and the bond passed if Frisco grows more rapidly than they anticipated.

“We have demographers that come in and determine based on all types of algorithms and what our growth pattern is going to be in the future,” Mr. Mimms said. “Sometimes it’s based on the past, sometimes it’s based on the infrastructures being created within the city.”