Your Winter Break Travel Guide

The+mountains+in+Eden%2C+Utah+during+Thanksgiving.+Surrounding+ski+resorts+are+a+popular+option+for+break.+

Ashlyn Wilde

The mountains in Eden, Utah during Thanksgiving. Surrounding ski resorts are a popular option for break.

Ashlyn Wilde, Reporter

You lazily wake up at 11 a.m., away from all the stress daily life brings. No one is making you get up, you can sleep the day away. Not a care in the world goes through your head. You’re away. Vacation has a different meaning for everyone: the soothing sounds of a wave breaking, the crisp smell of mountain air, the familiar warmth of your own bed, the loving sight of family and friends, or the contrasting and complementing tastes of amusement park food.  

Holiday break invites relaxation away from the hustle of school. Students and teachers alike enjoy the break in their own way. The two-week break of December 16 to January 2 offers many opportunities to have fun in your own way. Contributing factors all may help in finding out which destination is right for you.

Staying home in the comfort of your own city, along with celebrating with immediate family is always a go-to option. Sophomore Trinity Williams says she stays home and visits family because they don’t see each other that often.

“Since we all play sports and love football we usually do a big game of football in the backyard,” Williams says, “We eat and watch football games together.”

Explore where you live and find new hangout ideas and little gems away from busy life.

Darren Wilde
Exploring where you live, the Ford Star in Frisco can help you get to know the city.

Upcoming movies may pull you to the movie theater. Popular films such as “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” or “Pitch Perfect 3″ are options to consider with their popularity, and just $10.

Low on money? There are nearby dollar theaters that offer viewings of movies you could love for an inexpensive price. If you’re not feeling the dark atmosphere, you could join the many students skating in circles on the ice rink.

Skate rentals are inexpensive, and a way to get friends together that have also stayed home to enjoy the holiday . Just as inexpensive are shoe rentals at bowling alleys. These spots are difficult to find, but looking for the least expensive could be apart of the fun.

Not up for spending money at all? Your couch must be looking really nice for binge watching popular shows like “Stranger Things” with a warm blanket in your favorite sweatpants. Though the options are limitless, staying home with family and friends was the least voted option in a poll among students, just behind amusement parks.   

The thrill seeker inside you may call you to the parks with attractions. Whether it’s stomach-wrenching twists of roller coasters, or the themed shows, students would rather seek adventure than sitting at home. Sophomore Sarah Valcarce likes to go to theme parks because she believes her family is sometimes not that fun to hang out with.

Darren Wilde
Students love going to Florida for Disney World, especially during winter break.

Valcarce has been to Disneyland and Disney World over many winter breaks. Disney parks, though pricey, offer once-in-a-lifetime experiences you can’t get anywhere else.

New attractions, such as Pandora – The World of Avatar or Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, could amaze and excite all who go. Feel like you’re too old for Disney?

Ashlyn Wilde
King’s Cross Station at Universal Studio’s Orlando is the entrance to Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Universal Studios puts you in the world of popular franchises like Harry Potter to the Simpsons, even to the Men In Black. Not up for the long car ride or pricey airfare? Six Flags Over Texas is just down the road, lines open to rides like Mr. Freeze or the Texas Giant are waiting for you in the afternoons of break.

Favored over amusement parks, the location voted second place is the shores of beaches. Sea birds calling you? Beach vacations offer limitless ways of relaxation. Deep sea diving, snorkeling, swimming, building sand castles, surfing, and sunbathing are just a few ways to kick back in the ocean breeze.

“I love the beach and all it has to offer,” senior Brian Eastwood says. “I feel like the beach is the perfect place to bring friends and family.”

Choosing the beach is half the battle. Eastwood and his family have been to Myrtle Beach and the beach in Corpus Christi. From California all the way to the Caribbean, driving, flying, or sailing are methods of transportation to consider.

Ashlyn Wilde
The North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii in the afternoon.

Want a feel for many cultures? A cruise may be right choice for you. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or Norwegian Cruises offer activities at multiple destinations like Grand Turk or Puerto Rico.

Only want a one-stop destination? Flying to pink sand beaches in Hawaii, or driving to the close waves of Destin, Florida are calling everyone to come. Check his explanation here on getting tours of islands.

The number one vacation spot voted by students are the snowcapped land formations.

“Mountains are amazing to look at and traverse,” senior Zane Richmond said.

Ashlyn Wilde
The Rocky Mountains in Colorado Springs, Colorado in the late fall.

Relaxing in a log themed room with a warm fire is a hope many Heritage students share for the long vacation. Sitting across the country, mountains offer activities such as hunting, skiing, snowboarding, and sledding. Breckenridge, Colorado and Park City, Utah are just some of the cities that like to entertain on vacation.

Can’t make the trek? Small getaways are in reach. The Great Wolf Lodge, though not mountains, still can give the cabin feel while staying in range of a lower cost.

The holiday vacation is the time to kick back and enjoy the halfway point of the year, taking a break from the stress school brings. Relaxation is calling. By considering all your options, picking the best spot for you may be a click away.

Image Obtained by Ashlyn Wilde
Students voted in a twitter poll choosing their favorite vacation spot.